Friday, July 9, 2010

Time Flies When You're Living

It's been a great three years.

Three years ago, I was going through a maze of emotions as I was trying to figure out why I wasn't feeling well. I've posted before about this and the signs I received––the first being the voice in my head that kept asking the rest of my body, "why do I feel like I have cancer"––but looking back I'm so grateful for all that happened to keep me alive and posting. Lance Armstrong has been quoted as saying his cancer odyssey "enriched my life." That may seem strange to many people. For a fellow cancer survivor like me, it seems quite normal. Why? Because every day is more precious than the day before. More meaningful. More time to live.

I've had quite a few conversations with myself about my future lately. (C'mon, we ALL talk to ourselves. And we answer ourselves, too.). As a cancer survivor, I do not have time to waste. I'm not going to waste my time with people who don't respect me. I'm not going to waste my time wondering why I'm not perfect. I'm not going to waste my time trying to change the things I cannot change. I'm not going to waste my time trying to be something someone else wants me to be.

My friend, Cap, is one of my most loyal followers. (Means a lot to me, Cap.). Lately, we have been talking about the time we have, the time we waste and the future of our time. (It's nice to talk to someone else about this, instead of just having these conversations in my head.). We talk about the time we have with our children and all the time away from our children. We get caught up in our work––it's one of our passions––and then get caught in all the other BS that goes with it. Don't get me wrong. Being able to do what I do for a living is a gift. I am so lucky to be in the position I'm in and I thank my higher power every day.

It's time to enjoy the time I have.

2 comments:

Michael in DC said...

I follow you, too, dude...and I think about my mortality everyday...and talk to myself!

Greg Johnston said...

Thanks, Michael. Let's hope we don't do it in public.