Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Would You Like Dizziness As One Of Your Sides?

After all the cancer treatments I've had, I was only taking one medication. Note the word WAS.

A recent trip to my Doctor––my GP––and some blood work revealed that my cholesterol was sky high. And that I had a Vitamin D deficiency. And that I was growing breasts. (Just kidding. Put that in there to see if you're paying attention). So now I have to swallow more pills. Which means having to navigate the side effect of head & neck cancer that mess me up the most––the inability to produce saliva. Sometimes I feel like a snake who has swallowed a rat whole, expecting to see the pills stick out the side of my neck because they are caught in my throat. (Nice visual, huh?).

By taking more pills comes more side effects. First it was dizziness. Then it was fatigue. Then it was a desire to dress up like Elizabeth Taylor. (Again, paying attention? RIP Liz). These are the side effects from the cholesterol medication. I don't need any more side effects. Especially fatigue. Fatigue was the first indication that I had cancer––I had no energy no matter what I did and I didn't think that was normal––and made me to go see my GP to see if it was all in my head. Which in a strange and twisted way, it was. And it's strange to think this is supposed to happen. Which makes me question the validity or effectiveness of the medication. There's got to be a better way to lower my cholesterol––yes, I do exercise but not enough and I do eat good food but probably not enough. And after all the crap I've been through, really? Can't I just live on my "extra time" here on Earth?

Have to go now. I'm getting dizzy.

No comments: