Monday, February 6, 2012

100,000 To 1

Everyone watches the Super Bowl––at least it seems that way. It's become one of the biggest "holidays" in American Culture.

Last year, SB XLV, I was in North Dallas with 100,000 of my not-so-closest-friends taking in the experience. I had always wanted to be at the game, remembering when LA (or Pasadena) would host the NFL's biggest show on earth. And last year was very special, not only getting great seats but also working while trying to enjoy the pre-game tailgating and getting the final shots we needed to finish the 25 day tour we took from Detroit to North Dallas. It was long. It was tiring. It was fun––for the most part.

This year for SB XLVI, it was just me and my Daughter watching the game. And she had just come back from New York so I knew a halftime departure was inevitable. But I loved having her there with me, as my Wife had just left for SoCal, 2 of my Sons were on the road driving to SoCal and somewhere near The Grand Canyon and my oldest Son was watching the game at his with his family. Normally, we would ALL be at my house having a great time. Especially after surviving cancer, these family get togethers are really important. But here I was, life taking each of us in different directions and sitting with my 3 dogs watching the game on my big screen. It was extremely different than last year, from one extreme to another. As I sat there all alone, I realized I was smiling. Smiling because I was thinking of all my family and how ironic it was that I was by myself on Super Sunday. I was by myself but not alone. I had my family in my heart.

And without 100,000+ others around me, I also knew I could go to the bathroom or get something to eat without waiting in line.

No comments: