Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wins & Losses

I was reading the other day that Kyle Williams of the San Francisco 49ers had received death threats after his performance in the NFC Championship game. Kyle Williams is the Son of former Major Leaguer and current Chicago White Sox General Manager, Ken Williams––and Ken was the one who revealed this information about his Son.

All I could think about was, "really?"

No one understands what it is to be die-hard fan of your home team than I do. For me, sports kept me out of trouble––most of the time––and was my escape from a single-parent household, gangs and the awkwardness that each and everyone one of us goes through as we grow up. I learned to read the Sports page with my Father at 4 -years-old. I watched the the NBA Finals as a 7-year-old at my best friend's house as the Celtics beat the Lakers AGAIN and then had to endure the taunts and being berated by my friend's family because I was a Lakers fan––they were from Philly so why would they be rooting for the Celtics?––and ran out of their house screaming and with tears running down my face. I would walk from my house to Dodgers Stadium––a little over 4 miles––as much as I could to go watch the Dodgers play from age 12-15. My Mom would pick me up after the game, as the neighborhoods I walked through were rough enough during the day.

My point is this: life and death is not a sport. And your team's winning or losing should not control your emotions––especially if you are NOT PLAYING in "your team's" game. I really changed my emotional connection to my teams––and I'm a USC, Lakers, Dodgers fan that lives on the East Coast––once I had cancer. Oh I still care and get passionate. But if we really need an emotional connection that makes us feel good, I say try to tell someone you love them. Or give them a hug. Or a kiss. Or give them a call.
As long as you're not threatening anyone.

That's a win, every time.

No comments: